Vision, Mission, Objectives
A prosperous, equitable and empowered Karnali...
- Poverty Alleviation through economic promotion
- Advocacy and lobbying
- Social development
- Natural resource management
RDN-Kalikot has following objectives:
- Trigger policy debate, influence and shape macro policy in favor of Karnali; sensitize policy makers and those in government (duty-bearers) to become responsible and accountable for their actions and deliveries
- End social evils plaguing Karnali society like untouchability, polygamy, polyandry, Chhui Pratha (women forced to stay in cowshed or dirty, dingy cells away from home during menstruation risking health hazard)) and child marriages through effective mobilization of people and creating a network of change agents
- To conserve natural resources and bio-diversity for sustainable livelihood of the marginalized group; these resources will be used for the cycle of market led economy such as cultivation, processing, marketing of high value cash crops and eco tourism: more specifically, NTFPs, aromatic and medicinal plant, herbs, fruits etc., for which Karnali has the incredible potential.
- To raise awareness of the people for the conservation of cultural heritage of Karnali region in order to build and promote cultural identity and indigenous knowledge system, which will also contribute to cultural tourism.
- To carry out action-oriented research on culture, natural resource, and indigenous knowledge including traditional means of livelihood.
- To promote social justice, distributive justice, and accelerate the pace of Karnali development in order to bring it on a par with other developed regions
- To advocate people's access to road transportation, air service, health, educational facilities and improve the local economic system based on local potentially.
- Non Religious/Non sectarian
- Empathy with weak, vulnerable and victims
- Gender sensitive and responsive
RDN-Kalikot believes that the basic needs of people are their fundamental rights they are entitled to through national constitution and international conventions ratified by the country. In order to claim and enjoy those rights the people must be organized, empowered and enabled. The claims on all rights must have constitutional basis and claimants must be informed. However, all struggles for rights should be non-violent.
RDN-Kalikot believes that the rights holders must be organized empowered with skill, knowledge, information, and the strategic know-how. Once they are empowered they play the lead role and grow self-assertive in their rights pursuit. This help build bottom -up pressure which eventually makes duty-bearers responsible and accountable to their actions.
RDN-Kalikot believes that the rights holders should be involved throughout the entire cycle of the project. They should have active role in planning, setting priorities, implementing and social auditing. This increases sense of ownership in them and increases sustainability prospects.
RDN-Kalikot believes that the economic opportunities being created around Karnali should be utilized for the sustainable development of the large section of society. It can be achieved through the use of communication, transportation, technology transfer, capital formation and utilization towards a market-based or demand-led economy.
- Facilitate the marginalized beneficiaries, preferably, women, dalit and people living in the remote areas to get organized in their own grassrooted institutions,
- Share the values, good governance, skills and fair practices for the healthy growth of individuals and institutions,
- Encourage them to seek sustainable solutions of challenges by maximum use of local resources and by letting them the external support for exactly deficit areas,
- Facilitate them to be responsive towards the positive changes, technology adoption, and a shared future,
- Facilitate them in owing the social responsibility including the social assets and development projects so as to prepare them for gradual phase over.